How can we improve Adobe Dreamweaver?

Bring back custom code coloring.

I can't find custom code coloring. For instance, letting me set the colors of certain aspects of PHP code. The default is just so bland.

154 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

cngodlescngodles shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

183 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • darrelldarrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks as if the ONLY way Adobe will listen is if we stop using DW - hard as that may be, but WHY SHOULD THEY DICTATE THAT THE APP IS DIFFERENT EVERY 'KIN TIME AN "UPGRADE" IS RELEASED...

• Jamie AllenJamie Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this hasn't been fixed yet. I'm still using DW 2015 and feel ripped off by this "update". Bring back custom code colouring for THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!

• Lynton KossisLynton Kossis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is what happens when you have fuckin idiots build a program and they have NEVER use it in their life. What about the html code hints popping on and off all the time and NO WAY to disable them, another retard designed this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A shame to have fucked the classic theme even with the updates, I can't believe you're able to develop with that crap. 2015 FTW!

I need the old coloring too!

Thanks alot and bring DW back to a production-tool, alot of us earn money with it.

• Phil.Phil. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The whole essence of Dreamweaver is that it is a GRAPHICAL web editor. I shouldn't have to learn an entirely new version of CSS just to customize the code colouring for my PHP files. The old way was so simple and easy. Now I have to install an extension, sift through a bunch of themes I don't actually like, and then still have to mess around with code and HEX colour values just to get something that probably still won't work!? Who the hell though of this!? This is terrible. Please go back to the old way of doing things.

• Bill KorkasBill Korkas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Changing the color options was really an awful decision. I am back to 2015, I can not use 2017. The interface in 2017 is very hard to use, all is gray on gray.., folders are gray, buttons are gray, tabs are gray on dark gray.... colors help the brain to find the spots and the elements. It is very difficult to find a gray icon on a gray background. We need a pleasant working space, with colors COLORS! Not gray on gray! I need to FOCUS both on my code and on the INTERFACE of the program I use to be productive.

But the greatest CRIME is to remove the simple and working code color option to introduce an awful awful awful configuration file. You ruined Dreamweaver and you still believe you deserve our money for it. Think again.

• MariMari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was so frustrated with new code coloring and I'm not the only one!
        I don't have a time to customize "main.less" file.
        Adobe, please bring back old color code for next version!

• SlavaSlava commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is NOT "completed", Adobe, please reconsider. DW2015 code coloring was superior to the one in DW2017.0.1, for more reasons:

1) Included themes decrease productivity significantly due to colors used and the ones downloadable online do not fix that.

2) Installation process and customization are as awful as it could possibly get. End users have to actually code your software manually and you dare to promote it as a "feature". This is a fail of epic proportions.

3) Even if each individual user would put his work time, gain knowledge and go through the trouble to write a new theme, it will still be a productivity downgrade compared to DW2015 because there are less syntax/language specific code coloring possibilities.

You guys need to rethink your priorities. Making UI flatter has zero value to end user, while syntax highlighting is critical. It is one of the primary reasons people choose IDE above notepad. Think about that.

• AA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VERY BAD! i need to change color theme and i can't... why? isn't normal.. previous version are better.

• Zach NicodemousZach Nicodemous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Andrew Magart thank you for that block of CSS. It instantly got my code coloring 90% of the way back to how it was in CS6!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just crazy. Another user commented "Who has time for this?", and I strongly echo that sentiment. I have deadlines to meet, and don't have the hours I just wasted on an xml file hovering over hex codes to try to find the one value applicable to anchor text that becomes unreadable when selected -- which after the aforementioned futile hours, I am convinced just doesn't exist, anyway. Was it really that hard to keep the nice GUI for code coloring from previous versions around??

Another thing - every time I "upgrade" Dreamweaver, I'm forced to go through the hassle of searching for and editing the files that let me format code in certain file types - for example formatting .inc files like .html files by default. Why are these preferences not at least carried over to the "new and improved version" when I install it? It would be REALLY nice to have a GUI for this, too.

I have a very busy schedule and do plenty of coding with the web sites I maintain; I shouldn't have to do it to just use the editor that I code with...

• JazzmanJazzman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, if Adobe doesn't turn back the custom themes find another editor. Sublime is great.

• Richard HetheringtonRichard Hetherington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Change should always be optional NOT forced.
        When you are used to working in a particular way and with particular layout, colours etc, it takes time to consider change.
        Please revert look and feel back to CC 2015 and make themes optional for those that wish to change their UI.

The code highlighting in asp files doesn't work. The Edit | Code | Apply Source Formatting doesn't work in asp or php files.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base