Making DW More Efficient to Users Like it was CS3 Version
I have been a Dreamweaver user since about 2005 and before I did the upgrade from CS3 about a month ago, I WAS A VERY HAPPY CUSTOMER.
But the upgrade was false advertising, as the new Dreamweaver is actually a DOWNGRADE versus CS3.
Whoever came up with the notion that creating all of these damned bureaucratic paragraph / formatting boxes to get in the way of people using the DW software?
I am referring to those boxes you use to identify paragraphs, with some formatting options. These are the equivalent of bureaucratizing what was once a very nimble piece of software that allowed me to manage six sites by myself. Now with Dreamweaver 20.11 I need to hire a corporate staff because the new version of the software is such a bureaucratic impediment.
1. DOUBLING OUR WORK / CLICKS WITH THOSE BOXES. In CS3 I clicked on text or photos ONCE to begin acting on it. Now I have to CLICK INTO THE BUREAUCRATIC BOX FIRST – so you’ve essentially DOUBLED the amount of carpal tunnel clicking I have to do TO DO ANYTHING in the new version of your DOWNGRADED Dreamweaver software. Don’t you test this with INTELLIGENT users [not neophyte morons] before changing it?
2. COMPLICATING FORMATTING / HEADLINES. I can no longer quickly make edits, move or copy images, or mark text as headlines. I must first go through the Dreamweaver bureaucracy [those damned lines marking paragraphs etc.] before I can denote a headline – whereas before I would place my cursor on a line and select h1 or whatever headline I wanted and presto that line became h1 / the headline. Having the tool menu below or along the side worked just fine and unlike what you have now – it didn’t get in the way.
Now I have to click into the bureaucracy box, then separate the line, then click into the formatting wizard and then choose the headline. So you’ve made my work far more frustrating and cumbersome.
3. RETARDED MOVING COPY. Another example is moving copy. I used to be able to click on a selection of copy and then drag and drop it where ever I wanted. That’s not so easy anymore as I have to navigate the line bureaucracy to both copy and place it anywhere else on the page.
4. ABUSIVE CREATION OF NBSP;. I don’t know why, but when I do spelling corrections, punctuation changes and paragraph adjustments I find an incredible number of nbsp; [non breaking spaces] are created that I don’t want.
5. FORMATTING / CAN’T EASILY COLLAPSE PARAGRAPHS. The same is true for paragraphs. In the past I would hit the return key to create a new paragraph. And while this is still true in the new version, in CS3 if I changed my mind, I could hit the back key to return it into one paragraph. In DW 20.11 the bureaucracy doesn’t allow this.
6. RETARDED POPULATING PAGES WITH PHOTOS. You’ve slowed me down in populating a page with numerous story photos. I used to simply copy & paste a given photo all over a page where I wanted the various photos to go. Then all I had to do was change the photo number to complete the page. Done.
Now I must find the specific spot that you have buried in the photo box, click on it. Then I have to go into the code view and copy the html code. Then back to the live view where I navigate through your damned bureaucratic lines to the place where I want to paste the photo, and place the cursor where I want the photo to show. Then click back into code view to paste the photo html. Finally ... done. And I have to do that for each photo, whereas in CS3 I scroll down the page placing my cursor where I want the photo to show and click paste, and then on to the next spot, and do the same and so on.
7. HINDERED MOVING PHOTOS. Another example is moving photos. I used to be able to click on a photo and then drag and drop it where ever I wanted. That’s not so easy anymore as I have to find that sweet spot of the photo before I can grab it and then I have to navigate the line bureaucracy to place it anywhere else on the page. You have made the software very inefficient, costing me far more time to accomplish anything than the old CS3 version did. The CS3 version is an upgrade from the DW 20.11 software you now offer.
PHOTOSHOP VS FIREWORKS. The same is true of PhotoShop versus Fireworks. Fireworks was a far more usable software package – again speed and good enough quality being the parameters. PhotoShop may provide a higher quality result – but the trade off in time isn’t worth it.
So, your tech support people should be empowered to take these complaints back to you. Not have us take the time to complain directly to you, in addition to hitting them. Again a waste of my time. This is your software and you should be interested in hearing from your clients to improve yourselves.
But obviously you’re so big that you don’t care. So I’m done here. If the software doesn’t change soon, or somebody doesn’t get back to me with fixes and guidance on work arounds, I’ll likely not be a Dreamweaver user much longer.
By default, documents are opened in Live View in Dreamweaver 20.
However, Design view is still available in Dreamweaver where you can edit document in a WYSIWYG interface like drag & drop, etc
You can switch to Design View from "View menu->View Mode->Design" in case you want to switch to full Design View, else you can select "View Menu->Split->Code-Design" for code & design split view. You can also use the Document toolbar to switch to different document views. In case Document toolbar is not visible in your workspace, you can add it by selecting "Window menu->Toolbars->Document".
Similarly you can add all the panels like Properties Inspector, Assets, etc from Window menu to your workspace as required.
Live View is an embedded Chromium browser which provides a realtime browser preview within in Dreamweaver where you can also edit the content. However we have taken note of the issues you have reported on the Live View interface. We will look into the issues.