Code keeps disappearing
Since the latest upgrade (2017.1), the code view keeps disappearing. I can't find which action makes it happen.
Sometimes closing or opening windows helps, or closing program. I usually work in split view design/code. Switching views or to all code does not fix it.
In any case it renders the program completely unusable.
We have fixed a lot of issue related to CodeView getting blank, can you please try the latest update Dw 17.5 and update this thread with your observations?
What has worked for me, at least so far, is to save the file, close it, re-open it and it works.
Steve Houk commented
Dreamweaver CC 18.0
Been occurring randomly since download with no rhyme or reason. Doctype? Have run through validation etc.
Clearly deal and workflow killer...
We completely understand your concern and yes, we agree this issue is open from last year. Now, since multiple users have reported this issue again, we are keen on fixing this issue.
As mentioned in the previous email, this issue is not reproducible on all machines and hence we are requesting users to help us with any additional info regarding this issue which will help us in our investigations and fix process.
Thank you for giving your genuine feedback and we assure you that we are committed to work on fixing this issue once we have the workflow/steps to recreate the issue internally.
Pete Batin commented
With the greatest respect Nayan, no!
Many people have posted more information since June 29, 2018 when Divya requested more information just like you have.
It's taken you a year and a half to reply and you're asking for the same thing again. Why should anyone waste any more of their time giving more information when nothing will be done with it and someone from the "Dev" team will reply again in 18months time asking for more information.
There are so many irregularities with this product now it's FUBAR and I for one will not waste any more of my time on it.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused with this issue. We are investigating the same at our end.
As this issue is encountered on some OS versions, it would be great if you can update this thread with reproducible steps in Dw and machine configuration details (Mac OSX or Windows version). This will help us in reproducing the issue internally.
As a work-around to unblock you using code view, please follow the below steps:
1) Close the current file on which code view is blank.
2) Re-open the file by either of the below:
a. File Menu->Recent Files->Last closed file name will appear in the sub-menu.
b. File Menu->Open->Navigate to the file in Finder window and click Open.
Please write to us with any other observations on this issue.
I just downloaded DW on Nov. 29, 2019, and every time I save an HTML file, the code disappears. Maybe kill the product at this point?
I just downloaded it days ago, and it's horrible!!! My code keeps disappearing and I can't view anything in the view panel. Also can't set up a local testing server. I hate it! What a waste of money!
My code keeps disappearing as well! Very frustrating! I have to keep resetting the work space! Why!?? this has been going on for years it would seem!
Ty Webb commented
Almost 2 years later and still no solution - way to go Adobe.
All links disappeared from index page when I let Dreamweaver 17.5 idle for two days
Nina Lovel commented
I updated to 18.2 yesterday and frankly, there are so many annoying and INTERMITTENT issues I can neither reproduce nor describe them in any useful way. For a while I was asked to save a page every single time I edited the code, then a couple of re-starts resolved that, only to have code occasionally disappear from view. A couple more restarts and just now I had two different files open in Tile view; when I edited one, the edits replicated on the other one. These issues are so random and annoying I'm convinced you have some mischievous developers who are bent on sabotaging this once-user-friendly app. Windows 10 V 1703 OS Build 15063.413, Dreamweaver CC 18.2, 10165 Build.
Daniel Vaughan commented
It continues to happen. Does anyone know a hack?
Closing and reopening the file works.
Mac OS 10.14.2 happens on certain files.
I'm working with version 19.0 and this still happens all the time. It is so frustrating and such a time waster.
Jesus L Blanco commented
Still disappearing. Was working fine and now gone.This is ridiculous.
Cursor isn't visible on 1st character of every line.
...And in case someone actually reads the comments:
• Ability to sync site info?
• Sync/store keyboard shortcuts?
• Why have the dead space in the file browser of the root folder at all times? What is the point of it being collapsed? #UX #UI
• CSS background select?
• What the fuck has happened to undo/redo?! Why is nothing in-focus? Why does everything jump around?? It is impossible to see what has been un/re-done… Why does it take forever to undo a single step? It's like it's computing the entire universe of human knowledge with each undo/redo step…
• When spell checking, the selection doesn't jumt to the right place in code/design view it jumps everywhere BUT where it needs to go.
• We are sending humans to Mars and you seriously can't create a file comparison tool INSIDE of Dreamweaver?
• Color picker once ANY color hashtag is selected in code?! Making me open Photoshop, take a screenshot and do the whole color selection process there, instead of Dreamweaver. uhhhhhh
I want Macromedia HomeSite back - or earlier versions that ACTUALLY worked.
Do you people even use your own software outside of work? I can't believe I'm giving you my money on monthly basis for this! The amateur approach to your software build angers me to no end - every f*cking time I use Dreamweaver. You guys must consider new management for this team. Change SOMETHING. Really getting tired of this BS - can anyone recommend a good alternative to Dreamweaver?
The refresh issue aside (which, by the way, I've come to live with for several years now, it seems)
- the design view being disconnected from the code view, so they constantly jump around to the wrong place in page/code depending on which one you have selected,
- the senseless and drastic rearrangement of entire app's functionality and nomenclature,
- unusable style selector dropup-type - there are many horrible UX examples like this which render the whole function USELESS (have you tested your app on a website with more than 10 CSS styles?),
- Splitting up Search - pardon me, Find - and granulating it to a point of stupidity - WHY!? What was the reasoning for moving away from a single modal that took care of all of that at once?
- The whole introduction of the live preview - whyyyyyy on earth!? I've had to completely stop using this function because of this. Do you realize that people, for the most part, don't use your software on dual screens, so your silly auto refresh upon save is the biggest waste of collective energy in human existence. How many months/years/meetings did you spend on this feature?
- What did you do to the entire concept of selection? Code and design alike. Selecting, copying and pasting, seriously became a task I have to think about now - to say the least.
SO much inefficiency - I could go on for hours. Simply can't believe I'm wasting my time to let you know about all of these things that YOU should know about. And the only way shit like this happens is when people don't use the products that they build. It's as simple as that.
Ever wonder why your stock is the most boring thing to look at, let alone to investing in?
How you do anything is how you do everything.
September 2018, having this issue with 18.2. I can open 4-5 files at a time, and then they start opening blank in code view. Must restart Dreamweaver in order to fix. (And can still only open 4-5 files at a time.) Sometimes it happens with fewer files open, requiring Dreamweaver restart.
Having this issue with DW 18.2